Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Who's your Baby Daddy?

This is the post I could have avoided forever. Beloved television character Lennie Briscoe died today from prostate cancer. Jerry Orbach, a famed Broadway star and Disney voice was best known for his wisecracking Lennie of Law and Order fame. I never watch any episodes that don't feature Lennie. He was easily the best character the show has had. Screw Dzunda and Farina. Jerry Orbach was the man. This saddens me. Johnny Cash I took hard especially when immediately followed by John Ritter, who I grew up idolizing as a kid. Jerry Orbach's death certainly takes a minute to catch up to.

Now on to what pisses me off. Let's see $35 million pisses me off. I don't blame anyone for calling this stingy, I call it selffish. Without doing research, I am hedging that this is a top ten natural disaster in terms of lives lost. I am willing to say top four, maybe even the greatest casualty count ever considering the long term. These countries are already poor, but to add such destruction is devestating. The dollar amount of damage in Flordia from this year's hurricane's is one thousand times greater that what we are able to donate to the rescue/reconstructive efforts of these coutries. There were ten countries involved, each receives 3.5 million? Do you know what $3.5 million will do for Thailand? Bury the dead, maybe clean up. What about infrastructure? Are we going to do that work and add to what is probably a sizeable debt?

I cannot for one second believe that we won't act in these countries best intrest, but to publish small amounts and then double them to a still small amount is stupid. Don't tell anyone how much is being used for a week or so. We look heartless by attaching a monetary figure before we know anything.

Enough of the bad, here is some good. Gamecocks @ Pitt tonight. Pitt is fairly untested, we can see what they are really made of tonight.

Songs for today are: World on Fire, Sarah Maclachlan, So Much Trouble in the World, Bob Marley.

Peace

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home