Monday, February 05, 2007

By the Beard of Zeus

I had a different post lined up but have scratched it for a latter date. Right now I've got a little something else on my mind. Rolling Stone is about to anoint three guitar gods of today. Now let me first say that I partially understand the art of selling magazines. You need to have a small amount of controversy and its imperative that you create a discussion around statements like best drummer, or 100 best pop songs. You have to leave people out of guitar god discussions, if you don't then no one is elite.

Their Guitar Gods of Today do not include people who were heroes of the past and nor should it. Eddie Van Halen, Keith Richards, Pete Towshend, Jimmy Page, or any of those great dead guys, Slash, et al. They aren't listed because its about relevance. They are not pushing guitar playing right now. It is very important that people be of today and create sounds that will be the pattern for tomorrow. Well maybe not, but I think you have to be stand out, and will be for years to come to qualify. But that is getting the cart ahead of the horse.

John Frusciante, John Mayer, and Derek Trucks are the chosen few. Now allow me to examine each as I see them.

Frusciante. Genius. No doubt in my mind the best of this bunch. I love his work. I can't tell you how much this sound makes me happy. I listen to Stadium Arcadium several times in a row and still am stunned by that solo in Dani California. Coincidence or not, you decide...Fruciante began with Red Hot Chili Peppers on Mother's Milk after Hillel Slovack (I'm sure I butchered that but I'm trying to go on memory) passed away. Best hire by a band in years. Frusciante happened to be with the band when they broke. He recorded the breakthrough record Blood Sugar Sex Magic record and slipped into an abyss of horrible drug addiction. People I mean horrible when I say horrible. When you get fired from the Red Hot Chili Peppers for drug problems, you've got problems. Frusciante nearly met Hillel's fate, but somehow found a way out.

meanwhile, RHCP recorded with Dave Navarro to little or no effect. Frusciante cleans up and the Peppers drop their best album to date with Californication. If you haven't heard that one, do yourself a favor. That is a GREAT record. From there John and the band have been superior. Having success right along with 90's stalwarts Green Day and U2. Frusciante is the reason. I'm gonna help you make that decision. Listen to the albums. His harmony vocals and lush guitar make that band accessible. I'll give you my list later but I personally think Rolling Stone hit the nail on the head with this one. I've been raving about Frusciante since I knew how to say his name.

Okay Derek Trucks. I don't know enough to make a quality comment. I'm gonna study him tonight and determine whether or not I like or what....so he won't be on my list, but it isn't because he isn't good, like the next guy.

John Mayer, seriously. Mayer gets on this list for two reasons in my mind. One, he records nearly flawless music. It's clean and expertly polished. I'm thinking he should sponsor Pledge. His guitar is good, but not exceptional. I think he has lame lyrics, and his guitar work is pedestrian. Now like Trucks I haven't heard all of it. I don't like the blues so I haven't listened to his Try! album. I will tonight.

Second reason I think he gets on the list, like Trucks he plays the blues sometimes. Boring. Blues guitar does nothing for me, but for some it is what defines a person. I'm certain if the Edge wanted to he could play some 12 bar blues and tear your heart out, but its boring. People (critics and rock people) overly hype blues guitar.

My list would include: The Edge. This guy, like Frusciante, is the most critical component to a bands success, that doesn't get any love. You know when you hear The Edge. Like Eddie Van Halen he has a distinct sound.

Jack White would be there. He plays a lot of bluesy stuff, and really gets credit from people for doing that, but I give him props for playing such heavy riffs, and screaming solos while backed by drums. His sound is distinct and obviously influential. White can play many types of music and absolutely shreds.

Ben Harper is a phenomenal instrumentalist. The man can play a multitude of guitars including this Weisenbohn thing I've never seen another soul touch. His regular electric ability is pretty intoxicating, coupled with that wild Weisenbohn( which I'm sure I'm misspelling also) make him a premier player. It doesn't hurt that he covers Hendrix's Voodoo Chile to perfection.

My last guy is Steve Vai. Just Kidding. I think four will do. I have personal favorites, but I think those are the absolute cream...I'll tell you though I'm listening to Derek Trucks right now, I see what all the fuss is about. Whoa. It's like Kenny Wayne Sheppard and Duane Allman all in one. He covers Freddy's Dead really well.

Anyway. I feel better.

Dani California - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Until the End of the World- U2
Blue Orchid- White Stipes...Level, The Raconteurs (tell me that isn't Jack White's style)
Faded/Whole Lotta Love- Ben Harper (from his Live from Mars album)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home