Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Kissing the Lipless

I've been a bad blogger lately. I've considered shuting her down, just not much to talk about.

I'll tell you this though... I saw that Disney sold a butt load of Cinderella DVD's begging the question: Why did they abandon hand drawn animation? Two things here. First it isn't the visual that is the problem. Second Disney screwed themselves by not hiring or retaining the most brilliant minds in animation. Pixar and the rest are more free thinking enviroments, who cares what they pay...I wouldn't want to work in a regimented place like Disney. Second Shakepeare only wrote 36ish plays. He was brilliant but there are only so many stories to be told. Disney's stories have slipped, and were due for a resurgance, but in the meantime don't blame computer generated animation.

I like things like 500 best songs, or 25 greatest baseball players. Lists that spark debates of subjective subject matters. Blender Magazine, a sister magazine of Maxim has dropped a list entitled The 500 Greatest Songs Since You Were Born! I immediately wondered, how do they know when I was born? Well I know I'm not in Maxim's target audience. I laughed at some of the magazine's jokes, but never liked it, infact found myself hating it because of its influence on otherwise more sophisticated magazines. Now pick up a copy of Vanity Fair, its not as good as it was five years ago. Any way so Blender's readers are 25 or less. I think we knew that but until you really read it and see all of the hip hop I remained intrigued. I bought it and began to listen to some of the tunes I didn't recognize or haven't heard in years. Barring any hippity hop I heard some good Pulp, Stone Roses, Belle and Sebastian, and Mudhoney.

I can truly agree that some of these songs are great but please. Please tell me Atomic Dog by George Clinto in not a Greatest 500 of the last 25 years. Snoop likes it, he uses it thrice per album, but please. Tonight I'm gonna look for the Grammy winners for Song, Record, Rock Song, Pop song of the year. That's four songs max per year. Possibility of 100 songs, and see how many are listed. Now don't get me wrong, Don't Worry Be Happy won a Grammy. I don't expect it to be in Blender, but I do expect a song like Graceland, or Tears in Heaven to be represented. Allthough Wind Beneath My Wings swept the top two song categories it won't get listed and thankfully I won't have to read some dufus hipsters take on why it was great.

Not much folks, time to watch some more movies and Arrested Development DVD.

Oh listen to

Rebellion --Arcade Fire
Kissing the Lipless --The Shins

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home