Monday, September 12, 2005

Carry Each Other

Kiddies,

What's goin' on...well I've been raving about U2 and Mary J. Blige this weekend performing on Shelter from the Storm. They did a very inspiring version of One. A song I totally got sick of years ago, but came back to when I went through a U2 reniassance. It's really a great song and this version, with a powerful soul singer's influence made it even better. To see it go to:
www.u2exit.com look for the thing that says One with Mary J. Blige.

I've always said U2 is the best Christian band ever, and in this performance you get the essence of humanity and love in Bono's words. Not to go all rock critic on your face...

Also getting into Mr. Show with Bob and Dave. Watching season one on DVD. That show is so absurd. It launched Jack Black, David Cross and Bob Odenkirk into a kind of secret cool comedy group that Black obviously launched out of with hit films. Only time will tell for David Cross's fame. Odenkirk is too happy behind the scenes but I think Cross could still be really big. Well if you count some one like Dave Attell as big. Anyway I'm still looking for the bit about 'Taint Magazine. David Cross is a 'taint model and the photo shoot, as I recall from the mid-nineties, was hilarious.

In other music stuffs: Have I given you some examples of Green Day past and present. If no then read further...if yes then skip this...Listen to 2000 Light Years Away and then Give Me Novocaine/She's a Rebel and do this....

Bands like Staind for instance will find a new niche and exploit it until there be no milk from said teat. Listen to "Its been awhile" and then the new song I think its called "Its been awhile II".
But bands like Pearl Jam have challenged not only themselves but their fans with a more diverse sound...
I'll give you two slow ballads and two arena rockers.

Black then Off He Goes...difference in years is only five years but one is just more sophisticated to me. I think Black will still sell many many records over Off He Goes though.....

Now do a serious B-Side from the early stuff
Why Go one of my two favorite "b-sides" from a great record and now Hail, Hail also a difference of five years, but such a difference.

Don't get me wrong I know Staind has different sounding songs, and Pearl Jam had a hit with Black, Daughter, and Better Man... all essentially the same thing all from three consecutive albums. It's Pavlovian, Pearl Jam though got more and more creative to the detremint of their commercial successes. Lets all hold our breath and see what Staind will do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home