Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Fire represents heat....

I have been watching quite a lot of Survivor Outback and Survivor I on Outdoor Life lately. I forgot how terrific those seasons of television were. The first Survivor was groundbreaking for its relationship study, the battle of man against nature, and best of all it brought reality tv into the mainstream. Previously only Fox, MTV, and Foreign stations dealt with reality, now the grandaddy of them all had a hit.

The second season was my favorite. I loved every waking minute of Australia. Kimee protected chickens, and Alicia wagged her pointer. Mike killed a pig, and fell into a fire. Roger was the salt of the earth and provided the season's fatherly type. Jerri was a bitch, Colby was the Alpha male. Amber was only becoming a reality superhero. Of course though my favorite was Elizabeth Filarski, now Hasselback and now on The View.

I just watched the episode where Mike fell into the fire, its just as moving now as it was then. It is riveting television. Each person's emotion was palpable, its just a game...until now when someone gets hurt. The accident was foreshadowing for the tribe, as they all met his fate, save Elizabeth who makes the final three.

Unfortunately I guess everything has a shark jumping episode, and for me that came during my favorite season, when Jeff Probst took a helicopter from Austraila to Los Angeles. Uh, okay.. and now we're live and Colby's five o'clock shadow has shown up late.

The latter Survivor seasons pale in comparison to the first to. Most had their moments, stupid Fairplay, incandescent Jenna Morasca, and that sorry Boston Rob. Now we deal with kids that have studied what you "should do".

I'll tell you what my advice would be, and what strategy I'd take. I would forbid the use of the word alliance. I'd use confederacy, or coalition, but not alliance. I hate hearing that on reality shows, it represents more than the word actually means. Use trust, or fellowship they all mean the same thing, but now alliance means so much more. I figure were not far from a political canidate announcing his alliance to his running partner.

Well this began as a faithful love letter to the Survivor first seasons, and ended as a rant on how much I despise the latter shows. You can tell how long I've been on the island, its getting to my head.

Have you heard...

What's My Scene...Hoodoo Guru's

Lately?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home