Friday, April 29, 2005

Diet Coca Cola and Unlit Cigarettes

Ahhhhh....

Frosty Heineken is sooo good after a night at work. It's 1 in the am and currently I am jamming some Wilco I was jonesing for. Pot Kettle Black has been in my head since near lunch, and now I got a little Ashes of American Flags, a really good song about raking leaves, or maybe terrorism.. you decide. Anyway I'm here to announce that I'm jealous of some of the cities my buddies live in. Like Washington DC, where over the course of the next few weeks you can see bands such as Bloc Party, Audioslave, Stereophonics, Ryan Adams, Bright Eyes, Pixies, and Devo. That is all at one venue, the 9:30 Club. Which is a great no frills club. Two bands I didn't mention but would really like to see more than any mentioned above: Ben Folds (sans five, bo urns) and Old 97's, who I like but kinda suck.

Also Myrtle Beach. Many of these acts aren't coming to SC but lots of other junk is going there, for example The Killers and Louis XIV show. That's decent stuff we used to get in Chucktown. We need some serious youth movement here. Jack Johnson is the big thing here and across the country. He is just the only marketable show here in the future. The future still being 4 months away. He plays in September but the ads are as if he was here tomorrow. That of course gives the feel that there won't be crap for four more months. Although for me my week of shows begins again Tuesday with Todd Barry and ends Sat with Paul Westerberg.

For those of you who Rhapsody look into Todd Barry. As a matter of fact I suggest looking around in the comedy sections. Todd Barry is a good thing to start with but get some David Cross, Dave Attell, and a personal favorite from the Blaxploitation Vintage, Rudy Rae Moore aka Dolemite. And you cannot, I mean cannot do Rudy Rae Moore without listening to Stack a Lee. But seriously Lewis Black has some good stuff, I recently got turned on to Mitch Hedburg, who died recently but left us with two great albums.

I haven't left you with any good music lately.

Try this:
Positive Tension....Bloc Party
Banquet...Bloc Party
Cut Your Hair...Pavement--I heard this at the Gap last week, wow the flash back I had was intense
Embassy Row...Pavement
Sowing the Seeds of Love...Tears for Fears
Everybody Wants to Rule the World...Tears for Fears
Galileo...Indigo Girls
Least Complicated...Indigo Girls
Where's Summer B?...Ben Folds Five
Alice Childress...Ben Folds Five

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home