Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Tony Rocky Horror

These deals where you can buy DVD's from Best Buy or Circuit City for like $10 each rule. That's how I propagate my collection. Every other week there is a pretty good deal like a 3 for $30. So today I jumped on Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill Vol. 1&2. I guess I was in a violent mood.

Pulp Fiction, I haven't seen in probably five or six years, but I have seen it like fifteen times. It's one of those movies I watched so much in college, and kind of vowed not to watch for a really long time so I can appreciate it again. Obviously influential, gave a cred to the indie system (which has subsequently died), revitalized the noir (ultimately creating a neo-noir genre) and made soundtracks cool again. But does it hold up? The short answer is not really. Maybe I haven't given it enough time, maybe my film knowledge and appreciation has grown to recognize its flaws. I doubt either are true, I think I've seen so many rip offs that I can't place myself in a position to realize that this was the first movie to use the vulgarities, violence and comedy to carry its story. I hate to act like it is overrated, because it isn't. It's still rather entertaining, just no where near as tense.

Movies I have on suspension: Rudy, American Beauty, and The Usual Suspects. I want Rudy to be okay again. Never been a favorite, but still fun. I can't stand the sight of it now, way too much exposure. American Beauty, is crap. I can't watch it anymore. I want to enjoy it the way I did the first time, but I cannot. The Usual Suspects is one of my favorite Kevin Pollack and Chaz Palmentari movies, but I don't want to watch it for a long time. I want to go back to it and appreciate the surprise. That might be a feat in absolute futility, but I've got to try. I want to hear Verbal tell the story one more time. I'm good at figuring movies out, I got the Sixth Sense in like thirty minutes, but this one made my jaw drop. I'll still never forget the coffee mug hitting the ground, my eyes popped out of my head during that sequence. I really should add Jaws to that list. I love the early Speilberg stuff and Jaws is my favorite. I can watch it every time its on TV, and still love it. But maybe if I put a hold on it, I can enjoy it that much more.

This is so my favorite week in sports. We get men's basketball championship, Opening Day baseball, and The Masters...my second favorite golf tournament, but a local one that drives southerners wild.

Smashing Pumpkins just got added to Rhapsody.
Cherub Rock, I am One, Ava Adore, 1979.... you'll be happy you did.

1 Comments:

At 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you are interested in movies that keep your attention for the entire movie and so that you will be really surprised at the end, then you need to watch "SAW". I watched it and I stayed focused the entire time. It was great.

Rob Weber

 

Post a Comment

<< Home