Saturday, February 10, 2007

You Were Mine

So its Grammy weekend. Do you care? Wow you do? Okay, well I guess I better work on making some picks, I really thought you might say no...hmmm. Okay I do know that there is a contest with Justin Timberlake, where you and I get to choose who he performs with. Disappointed though. I thought I get to choose who he sang with, actually they have a list of people from around the world that submitted audition tapes. Really sucks, I had practiced spelling Federline so that we could see a duet of SexyBack with the KFed.

I have next to no clue what is up for an award, but I believe I read that Mary J. Blige and those Red Hot Chili Peppers are stacking up the nominations. If they win I'm cool. Mary is really good, and probably underappreciated by white people. I fell in love with her when she did One with U2 post Katrina. She took me to church, to a church I'd never even heard before. I always saw U2's music as heavily religious, and this performance was the gospel.

So I'll drop my thoughts on the big four, New Artist, Song of the Year, Record of the Year, and Album of the Year.


Record of the Year: Crazy-Gnarls Barkley....I think this was a great record mostly because it sounded unique and was very clean. Boring though. After the fifteenth listen, I was over it.


Album of the Year: I admit, I'd only heard 3 of 5 of the Record of the Year candidates. For Album I've probably heard at least half of 3 of them. I own Stadium Arcadium and would vote for it, but watch for John Mayer a Grammy voter favorite, or the Dixie Chicks so they get some political vindication. Wouldn't it be great though if the Chili Peppers of 1992 could win. It would be a train wreck.



New Artist: I don't know how on earth Imogean Heap got this. I remember listening to her music and not loving it, but this is the Grammy's..its a popularity contest and occasionally they might trip onto an artist of integrity as Imogean Heap would like to be thought of....I hate to say it knowing the curse that follows this award, but Carrie Underwood is far beyond the most deserving. She's a bona fide second tier country star. That's big business. I'm pulling for James Blunt, because of the curse.

Song of the Year:Not Ready to Make Nice- Dixie Chicks. Deserving, but really this is for the broadcast. It's a big deal to me that the country makes a big apology to the Dixie Chicks.

Not to get carried away on a ridiculous rant, but thankfully I can. I love a country where we can speak our minds and destroy our property. If I want to throw all of my Grateful Dead cd's in the trash as a statement against old men in music I can do it. If I don't like Don Henley being a liberal, I can make a statement and trash his records. I can disagree with the Dixie Chicks stance on Iraq and smash their CD's with redneck music stations in Wal Mart parking lots all I want. What I don't like and never can respect is all of those people that came back. The hypocrites that love the Dixie Chicks again. The buttwipes see the war is going badly and wait the Dixie Chicks have a new disc? I gotta have it...I cracked my other ones up....

I wrote a local country station about a month ago when I scanned the radio and heard a Dixie Chicks song from their first album. I stopped my fingers and listened. Its one of my favorite songs ever, I had to hear it... When it finished I looked to see what station it was on. Turns out it was on the station, as I remember it, that went on our local news vowing never to play the Chicks music again. I was angry beyond words. I cannot stand people that go back on their stance. Especially publicly, especially when it involves other peoples art or business.

I wouldn't appreciate Jim Cramer screaming about Home Depot stocks dropping because of horrible customer service and several weeks later raving about it with out an apology or an explanation.

So I asked that question of this radio station, along with when was this decision made, and why...My response has not arrived. But I think I know the answer. Fans made enough complaints, big business owns these stations, and they make decisions based on complaints all the time. I'm certain there was enough public support that these stations ate crow and began to spin the records again. But nowhere can you find an explanation, and nowhere can you find an apology.

Wishful Thinking-Wilco
The Long Way Around- Dixie Chicks
State Your Peace- Hootie and the Blowfishes

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home