Friday, February 04, 2005

XXXIX

This is the Great American Sports Weekend. The least amount of football is played, but we worship at its house this Sunday. I have always loved the commericals, and usually find myself indifferent about the game. Last year I had someone to pull for, this year I can't decide. Couldn't careless, just as long as Terrell Owens doesn't get to celebrate too much. I'm so sick of TO hype. I would rather see Tiger Woods win every major from here to 2020 than TO win this Super Bowl in heroic fashion. Why? Well I like Rick Woods, I think Owens is a cocky dingleberry becoming the second coming of Primetime. Selling an image rather than ability, and that is annoying. Don't get me wrong though. Owens is a good person, never finding trouble outside of football, and easily the best wideout in the game today, that doesn't play for Minnesota.

So you'd think I'd pull for the Patriots. I picked them over the Rams some time ago, and couldn't be happier that they won last year. But now, I'm tired of them. I'm fickle what can I say. I totally love the fact that 53 players play together as one, no other team has as singular a vision as Bellichek's team every Sunday. That is admirable. I like teams with runt whitey's that sell out for every play (that is why I used to like Duke). And it isn't a black white thing with me, because ultimately I'm pulling for the Eagles, I'm an NFC guy and I've liked Donavan McNabb for years. McNabb destroyed the Clemson Tigers some years ago in a bowl game, and won a Super Bowl for me last year.

Super Bowl Trivia for you:

Did you know that the University of Michigan band and the Florida A&M Band have played multiple halftime shows?
Did you know that Don Shula has coached in six Super Bowls with only two wins?
Did you know that only once has a Super Bowl winner and a World Series winner come from the same city? Pittsburgh 1979. Not good for Patriots.
Did you know this is the latest date a Super Bowl has ever been played? Also only two Super Bowls have been played in February, the Patriots won both.

Next year's Roman Numerals will be XL!!! I hope there aren't too many "XL pregame shows" or "XL Halftime shows"

So my two cents are going for the Patriots though I have gambled with them twice and won, this is the year I have the least confidence. Patriots win though in a low scoring one. 13-9. Next coordinator to leave the Pats, Pepper Johnson. Watch those linebackers, and tell me that isn't the best group you've ever seen.

Finally, I have wanted to do this without jinxing anything, but Grant Hill is having a great year. He is going to start in the All Star game in Denver, after having three years of ankle surgery and rehab. I wish the league were centered more around guys like him, of course that is impossible now that I really ponder it, there is only one Grant Hill. This guy is an inspiration to perserverance and dedication.

Not related, saw this on Pink is the New Blog and had to laugh...

Dude you're gettin a ding dong....

http://www.joytheplayonline.com/

I leave you for now with a couple of jams from each city represented in the Super Bowl:
Someday I Suppose, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Any Little Town, The Push Stars

The Seed 2.0, The Roots
Motownphilly, Boyz II Men


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home