Monday, February 28, 2005

You So Crazy

DC was a blast of cold fresh air. Its really fun to explore a historic city for the first time. I was a little awe-struck looking at the White House, Lincoln Memorial, Vietnam Memorial, The Capitol and the snow. There were many things that were massive and really amazing to actually see, but all of the snow blew my mind. I am from the south, snow is rare. So snow in Washington took me a little off guard. It was great though. Probably my favorite thing was monument touring, and actually seeing things like Kennedy's gravesite, looking down from the Lincoln Memorial steps to the reflecting pond, to the Washington Monument down to the Capital building. I need to go back already.

I saw Wilco and Kings of Leon. Wilco is really a polished force now. They are by far the best band I've seen in the last two years. Kings of Leon were pretty good too. I was a little bored with their show. Lyrically they can be indecipherable, and that's a little off putting. But all in all they are a good garage band. They aren't gonna be big like the Strokes or the Hives but I'd expect them to have some longevity.

The Oscars last night were a little too predictable. Chris Rock got off to a bumpy start but ended up being pretty funny. I liked his Gap analogy. Here are a couple of hit that were my thoughts last night and this morning reading some recaps and studying photos.

Adam Duritz is weird, he is his own person. Counting Crows seem like they are a lousy live act.
Halle Berry impressed me for the second time. Her short hair at the Oscars when she won was pretty. Last night she was absolutely hot. I have gone on before about give me Gabrielle Union this and I really love Michael Michelle that. Halle was a knockout.
Natalie Portman, could show up in a potato sack and I'd still call her gorgeous.
Gwyneth Paltrow looked good, but Charlize Theron looked too poofy. I don't get dresses that are poofy.
I don't like Renee Zellweger the person. She is too stuffy. I do like the characters she portrays.
Is Orlando Bloom prettier than Cate Blanchett?
I was pissed when I read it, but I didn't know Emmy Rossum would introduce Beyonce to sing a song that she sang in the movie. Oh and in the 18 year old category, Emmy was really good looking but my taste still leans towards Amanda Bynes. I didn't watch every episode of the Amanda Show for nothing. I really dig that girl, even if she wasn't pretty hot, she is talented and funnier than anyone on tv today, except maybe David Letterman, David Cross, Will Arnett, and Ashlee Simpson.

About the Awards: I really don't care who wins what. I am rather ticked that Martin Scorsese hasn't won an Oscar, but I don't lose sleep. I am glad Jaime Foxx won but really think its about time Don Cheadle gets some love. I've always used the Oscars and Golden Globes to help me determine which movies I really want to see. Usually I try to see the Best Picture nominees that I'd like. This year, I'll see Sideways, Ray, Million Dollar Baby and the Aviator. Like Johnny Depp don't like movies like Neverland.

Anyway so I use the awards this way to determine what is the best film of the year.
1. Editing. Good Editing=Good Movie. No politics.
2. Writing. See above insert writing.
That's it. Although I look very closely at Cinematography and Sound. By the way The Aviator won for Editing, and Cinematography.

Finally to Sidney Lumet who is one of my favorite directors. I like the guys from the seventies who reshaped American Cinema forever. Best Lumet movies, 12 Angry Men, Network, The Verdict, Dog Day Afternoon, and Fail Safe. If you haven't seen these please watch. 12 Angry Men and Network are my favorites, and Dog Day Afternoon is about the only Pacino Movie I can stomach. But Lumet gave the best speech, thanking the movies, weird looking daughters though.

Lets do some good songs from the movies today.

Streets of Philadelphia, The Boss...I'm alright, Kenny Loggins....Aquarius, The Fifth Dimension

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home