Saturday, May 21, 2005

Would You Know My Name

Allrighty then. I am back to tell you a couple of things.

First on CNN.com my homepage there is a story about dozens of puppies found abandoned. I am not cruel or heartless, but who cares. This is a page devoted to world news. I didn't see anything on it's front page about famine, or AIDS or the lack of infrastructure in 85% of Africa. I surely don't want a puppy to be valued over a Senegalian. Too many white people in this world making the decisions.

Next is my understanding of a part of the end of Star Wars 6 or III, or Stop Drop and Roll. I get it now why Vader screamed NOOOOOOO!!!!!. Luke did the exact same thing in 2 or V. however you call it.

Onto other movie matters. The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe looks pretty good. I don't think I'll watch it but it looks pretty cool. I read the books and can't remember anything. I watched Rush this morning with Jason Patric and Jennifer Jason Leigh. Very good drug addiction movie. Greg Allman is in it and is really cool and collected. He is a club owner that the town wants to frame as the kingpin of Texas coke, except no one ever sees him deal. Patric and Leigh are really good in the lead roles as narcs that get addicted to their work. Patric on a more severe level. His acting is underrated. I don't know why he doesn't get more film work. I never noticed him until Narc and now Rush although I did like him in Your Friends and Neighbors, which was just utterly sick, but you gotta love Neil LaBute. That's one helluva Ben Stiller movie.

Though this film was about drug use it didn't fall into a lot of the same trappings others will, like glamorizing the lifestyle. Lilli Fini Zanuck brilliantly showed the degrading effects heroin has on the body's shell. Patric's track marks and Leigh's discolored skin. Gritty performance from Leigh who plays everything cool. She could have been Julia Roberts but rather she invested her talent into much headier pictures, including this one, and the Hudsucker Proxy. While Roberts made Dying Young and Sleeping with the Enemy, Jason Leigh was creeping you out in Single White Female.

Thanks are due to Zanuck (who is currently doing Revelations on NBC and who married into the Zanuck film history) for not allowing the overacting you would typically see in a drug themed movie. I can't stand movies with drunks, retards, blind people, or drug addicts. Actors salavate for those roles because they can act really crazy and the general public laps it up. The hardest thing to do on film is sit still and convey emotion. Not talk about Matlock, while moving side to side with a weird voice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home