Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Like No Other

Well, Bo won American Idol for me last night. I will be casting my vote for him in six days.

I was posed the question how does a band write a song like Jesus Etc. yesterday. Wilco fan to Wilco fan there is a simple answer along the lines of "Dude", or "No doubt, that's totally tubular". My response is 24 hours later, but how does a dude write a song like Easy Lover?
Phil Collins, along with Springsteen, Michael Jackson and I guess Bowie were my major early influences and favorites. It wasn't until Prince, and Public Enemy and Guns and Roses came along to pull me from the pop doldrums into a world of risk. There is no risk with Easy Lover, but damnit I was puttin' a hurtin' on my eardrums and my speakers today when that ditty came over my airwaves.

Some news, thanks to www.stereogum.com Dave Matthews Band and Coldplay have made new Storytellers, this being Dave's second, and possibly the first with a cover. If they play the entire setlist, Dave will tell us his inspiration for All Along the Watchtower, in probably a way much funnier than any joke Dylan could tell. I love you Bobby but you ain't funny.

I guess I missed a Gene Frenkel appearance with Queens of the Stone Age on Saturday Night Live as well. That would make that show worth watching. Oh and Happy Birthday goes out to Tina Fey, she just turned 35 so she's getting extra hot now.

Easy Lover--Phil Collins
One More Night--Phil Collins

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home